Update your room ergonomically with a standing desk. Not only does this desk come with attached shelving to help you consolidate books and office supplies, but standing will boost your health and fitness as well. You’ll be astonished at how much you get done!
Customizing this all-in-one desk and shelving unit to fit your space is fast and easy with 2×4 lumber and Simpson Strong-Tie® Rigid Tie® RTC2Z connectors.
Download the plans for this DIY Standing Desk with Shelving Unit here.
- Drill/ screw gun
- #2 Philips- head bit
- Tape measure
- Straightedge or chalk line
- Bit holder (optional)
- Speed square
- First cut lumber to size. Since all of your cuts are straight cuts, Simpson Strong-Tie connectors simplify building with wood.
- Install connectors on vertical posts. On the right vertical posts (A) of the shelving unit, install two connectors at 351/2″for the desk. Be sure the desk connectors are facing in toward the desk. Then mark height and clamp three connectors to each of the four 68″ shelving vertical posts (A). Attach all with Simpson Strong-Tie #8 x 1 1/4 4″ wafer-head screws (SD8).
- Connect all horizontal rails on each side of shelving unit. Use a clamp to help hold the wood in the seat of the connector during installation. Connect the vertical posts on the left side with 8 7/8″ short shelf rails (B), then repeat on the right side. Next, connect the two sides with the 21″ long shelf rails (C).
- Cut plywood for shelving unit to size. Check measurements of the assembled unit before cutting the plywood (D) to make sure it fits snugly.
- Notch corners of bottom two plywood shelves. Attach plywood to shelves with Simpson Strong-Tie #6 x 1 1/ 4″ bugle-head wood screws.
- Install connectors on desk legs. Attach the connectors to the tops of the legs (E). Connect the legs at the bottom using a short rail (B). For a clean look, toenail Simpson Strong-Tie #7 x 2 1/2″ Deck-Drive™ DWP Wood SS screws into the legs and base rail from the bottom.
- Attach desk to shelving unit. Attach the long horizontal rails (F) to the desk leg connectors and then attach them to the connectors on the vertical posts.
- Cut desktop plywood to size. Check measurements of the assembled unit before cutting the plywood (G) to make sure it fits snugly. Notch the corners on the left side to fit into the shelving unit. Attach to standing desk frame with Simpson Strong-Tie #6 x 1 1/4″ bugle-head wood screws.
- (16) Rigid Tie®RTC2Z connectors
- (40) Simpson Strong-Tie®#6 x 1 1/4″ bugle-head wood screws (S06125DT)
- (4) Simpson Strong-Tie Deck-Drive™ DWP Wood SS screws (S07250WP)
- (2) boxes Simpson Strong-Tie #8 x 1 1/4″ wafer-head screws (SD8x1.25)
- (8)pieces 2×4 x 8′ lumber
- (1)piece 4′ x 8′ sheet of 1/2″ plywood
Cut from 2×4 x 8′
- (4) 68″ shelf posts
- (4) 21″ long shelf rails
- (2) 45″ long desk rails
- (6) 8 7/8″ short shelf rails
- (2) 8 7/8″ short desk rails
- (2) 8 7/8″ bottom supports
- (2) 37″ desk legs
- (1) 8 7/8″ bottom supports
- (2) 21″ long shelf rails
Cut from plywood
- (1) 15 7/8″ x 23 7/8″ top shelf
- (2) 15 7/8″ x 23 7/8″ shelves
- (1) 20″ x 47 13/16″ desktop
Cut four shelves from
- (1) 4′ x 4′ sheet of 5∕8″ plywood.
Find more do-it-yourself project plans at strongtie.com/diy.